More and more companies are using an intranet site as a ‘rich’ communication channel for a variety of topics. It’s a good idea to use one as well for the Strategy Execution theme. There are three important advantages:
- You centralise the important information in one spot, so everyone can find everything easily.
- You leverage the latest technology − which will especially attract your younger and technology-minded managers.
- It forces you to build the big picture. Since everything is gathered together on the site, it’s crucial that everything fits together. This demands an extra effort, but experience teaches us that this is a wonderful tool for eliminating overlaps and reducing complexity.
There are, however, a couple of important points to keep in mind to ensure success:
- Don’t develop this channel into a second ERP. Keeping track of KPIs and individual performance evaluation documents belong somewhere else. Limit yourself to clear information about the strategy, the Strategy Execution steps, and the ‘to do’ items for managers.
- Keep your eyes on your target group. Make sure you communicate in short, direct messages. It often helps to have a sounding board to test ideas, wording, etc. before you go live.